Set a catchall email address for Cloud Sites
Notes: This article refers to a feature that is no longer available for Cloud Sites. It is provided for legacy support only.
A catchall address is a designated mailbox to which email sent to a non-existent email address on your domain is delivered. For example, assume that you have the following mailboxes set up on your account:
- email@example.com (the catchall address)
Any email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org is delivered to that corresponding mailbox. The same is true for email sent to email@example.com. However, what happens to email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, which does not have a corresponding mailbox set up in the system?
Normally the email would be rejected with a
user unknown message and
returned to the sender. However, if you have a catchall address set up,
like email@example.com, the email is delivered to the catchall
mailbox. This is true for email sent to any other addresses that have
not been set up as mailboxes on the system.
To set up a catchall email account for a particular domain
- Log in to the Cloud Sites Control Panel.
- In the left navigation pane, select Hosting > Cloud Sites.
- Select the domain for which you want to add a catchall account.
- Click the Email Accounts tab.
- Add the email account that you want to use for the catchall address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Under Mail Preferences at the bottom of the page, select Send them to this account (catchall) and select the account that you want to use from the menu.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License