Rackspace Private Cloud Powered by Microsoft Cloud Platform FAQ
The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) describe how Rackspace Private Cloud powered by Microsoft Cloud Platform can work for you.
What are the key features of Microsoft Cloud Platform?
- Built on Microsoft Hyper-V: Flexible guest VM support on private and secure hardware makes Hyper-V the hypervisor of choice for your workloads. Microsoft Cloud Platform builds on the Hyper-V Server platform by introducing automation, monitoring, and self-service provisioning.
- Self-service: Manage your private cloud through an easy-to-use web interface, supplied by Windows Azure Pack, that gives you self-service provisioning and control of virtual machines, websites, database as a service (DBaaS), and more.
- Cost-effective licensing: Hyper-V comes free with Windows, so you don’t need to buy any hypervisor licenses. Our host server licensing allows unlimited Windows guest operating systems at no additional cost. And the price difference between Windows Datacenter edition, and the Windows version that includes Microsoft Cloud Platform, is minimal.
- Scalability: Manage servers in other Rackspace data centers from a central portal. You can connect and manage servers in your own data center, and burst out to public Azure.
- Database as a service: The Windows Azure pack enables DBaaS, so that you can provision and manage Microsoft SQL Server® or MySQL® databases through a web interface running on your dedicated, secure hardware.
Why should I use Microsoft Cloud Platform?
- Backed by Fanatical Support®: Microsoft Cloud Platform includes full infrastructure support backed 24x7x365. Guest Virtual Machine (VM) support is available on your terms, and guest VMs are also supported.
- Expertise: Rackspace is a four-time Microsoft Hosting partner of the year. We have hundreds of Microsoft Certified Professionals running thousands of Microsoft workloads every day.
- Scalability with availability: Scale to thousands of nodes with the Windows Azure Portal, with built-in features such as live migration and failover clustering for up to 64 nodes.
- Security: Get the enhanced security of a single-tenant environment with physically isolated network, compute, and storage layers. Additional hardware-based network security options are available.
- Flexible: The Microsoft Cloud Platform is supported by all server, storage, and networking architectures at Rackspace. You can add hardware incrementally, connect across multiple data centers, connect and manage servers in your own data center, and burst out to the public Azure.
What are some use cases for Microsoft Cloud Platform?
- Core infrastructure: Microsoft System Center is an ideal choice whenever seasonal spikes require additional power from your hardware reserves or Microsoft Azure.
- Application hosting: Consisting of Microsoft SharePoint and Exchange, the Rackspace dedicated Cloud Office product is the ultimate application for the Microsoft Cloud OS platform.
- Web hosting: You can host production, QA, and development environments on System Center with confidence.
- Database hosting: System Centers, Windows Azure Pack, and either SQL Server or MySQL Server, deliver the essential environment to architect an enterprise-grade SQL database service, and private-cloud security is maintained. You can natively manage database servers through System Center or DBaaS.
- Disaster recovery - The Microsoft virtualization stack provides for disaster recovery. Build out these critical environments by using known technologies, such as PowerShell and Windows Server, on a platform already licensed.
©2017 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License