Rackspace Cloud Backup overview
Note: Cloud Backup works only on Rackspace Cloud Servers.
Warning: Cloud Backup does not follow symlinks. If you want to back up files or folders, do not use a symlink.
Rackspace Cloud Backup product page is a file-based backup application that lets you choose which files and folders to back up from your cloud server. You can choose to restore your whole system with all of its folders and files, restore individual files or folders from a given date, or restore to an entirely different server.
Following are the key features of Cloud Backup:
- Select the files and folders from your cloud server that you want to back up
- Run your backups manually or on a schedule that works for you
- See the activity from all your backups, both current and previous
- Use AES-256 encryption with a private encryption key known only to you
- Restore individual files and folders from a particular date
- Save space with incremental backups that save only the changed portions of files
- Create unlimited backups
Cloud Backup does not take snapshots of your server. To read more about how Cloud Backup differs from snapshots, see Rackspace Cloud Backup vs. Cloud Server Image Backups or Best Practices for Backing Up Your Data: Cloud Block Storage versus Cloud Backup for backup consideration on your General Purpose server.
As a best practice for web servers and database servers, we recommend using Cloud Backup on the following directories:
- Web applications under
- Database dumps under
- User data under
- Systems configuration files under
Following are a list of articles to help you get started with Cloud Backup:
- How to install the Cloud Backup Agent on Linux servers
- How to install the Cloud Backup Agent on Windows servers
- How to create a backup
- View backup information
- How to use the backup actions menu
- How to use the system actions menu
- How to manage your notification preferences
- How to troubleshoot common issues
If you have the Managed Operations service level, you might already have the agent installed on your server. You will know you have the agent when you see your cloud servers listed under Systems in the Rackspace Cloud Control Panel. If the agent is not already installed, we can install it for you. Check with your account manager and jump ahead to Create A Backup.
Other users should begin with installing the backup tool:
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License