Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Introduction
Welcome to Rackspace Auto Scale, the easy way to scale your cloud resources up or down in response to an increase or decrease in overall workload and based on your defined thresholds.
What you will learn in this guide
After reading this guide you will understand the following information:
- What Auto Scale does and the core concepts that drive it
- The Auto Scale current policy options and how group configurations affect policy execution
- How to use the Auto Scale control panel to create a scaling group and policies
- Where to go next to get the most out of Auto Scale
What you can do with Rackspace Auto Scale
You can use Rackspace Auto Scale to perform the following tasks:
- Create a policy to add more servers at a specific time of day on a recurring basis or just one time; use cron to set the schedule, or use a webhook to respond to an event and trigger a policy; and set a policy to scale back down
- Add and remove a specific number of servers or a percentage of your total resources
- Support your dedicated servers by adding - and removing - cloud servers based on a schedule
Before you can use Rackspace Auto Scale, you need to have the following prerequisites:
- A Rackspace Cloud account. To sign up for a Rackspace Cloud account, go to the Rackspace Public Cloud signup page.
- A server image or images that you have configured with all needed applications and settings, and that will be ready when the server is booted. You can do this with various programs such as Chef, Puppet, and Salt. You can create your images with the API or through the Cloud Control Panel. See the Cloud Servers Developer Guide for information about using the API.
- (Optional) A load balancer. One is allowed per each group of 25 server images. You can create a load balancer with the API or the Cloud Control Panel. See the Cloud Load Balancers Developer Guide for information about using the API.
After you are set up, there are some concepts that you should understand. Those are addressed in the next section, Concepts.
User Guide sections
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Introduction
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Concepts
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Create a scaling group
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Create a scaling policy
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License