Migrate your email by using the Self-Service tool
This article demonstrates how to use the Self-Service Migration Tool provided in the Cloud Office Control Panel to copy email data from your previous provider to Rackspace Email or Microsoft Exchange. The Self-Service Migration Tool uses our private-label version of MigrationWiz, which you can run at any time at no additional cost.
Note: Some of the features that are present in the full version of MigrationWiz (at migrationwiz.com) are not readily available within the Self-Service Migration Tool. If you want to use the full version, see Accessing the Full Version of MigrationWiz.
Before you begin your migration, you need to create your mailboxes on the Rackspace environment. The migration tool does not create your mailboxes for you.
Use the following resources to help you create your mailboxes:
- Rackspace Email: How to add Rackspace Email mailboxes
- Microsoft Exchange: How to add Microsoft Exchange mailboxes
You need the usernames and passwords for both your previous service and the Rackspace environment. The migration tool requires that you enter this information.
To ensure that mail is routed properly to your new mailboxes, you must update the MX records for your domain. The following article provides you with the appropriate DNS records: Set up DNS records for Cloud Office email and Skype for Business
To configure your email clients and mobile devices, you can use our Email Setup Assistant: http://emailhelp.rackspace.com
To migrate your email
- Log in to your control panel.
To create your self-service migration portal, click Get Started with MigrationWiz Now.
You are redirected to the MigrationWiz portal.
Enter a contact email address in the Email Address box, agree to the Terms of Service (BitTitan is MigrationWiz), and then click Login.
A notification informs you that an email with a secure link has been sent to your email address. Follow the instructions in the email to log in to the MigrationWiz portal.
- Locate your existing email service server information and determine
what kind of service you have (POP, IMAP, or Exchange).
- IMAP: If you use Outlook, the incoming server address can be found under your account settings. It typically looks like mail.domain.com or imap.domain.com.
- Webmail: Your server address is a portion of the webmail URL. For example, if your webmail address is https://webmail.domain.com, then your server address is webmail.domain.com.
- Exchange: Your Outlook Web Access (OWA) address is the best way to connect. Check your mail via an Internet browser. It typically looks like https://mail.domain.com/owa or https://mail.domain.com/exchange.
- Click Next.
Enter your source and destination server configuration settings.
- Select the source server system type and enter the server address. For IMAP, you must also enter a port number. IMAP ports are 993 (secure) and 143 (non-secure).
- For the destination server, select the service that you are migrating to, Rackspace Email or Microsoft Exchange 2013, and then click Next.
Enter the email address, username and password for the source and destination mailboxes. You can migrate multiple mailboxes by clicking the + symbol or by inputting your mailbox information into the spreadsheet provided. Then, click Next.
The next step is a trial migration to ensure that connectivity is successful to both the source and destination mailboxes based on the information that you entered.
Click Next to begin the trial migration.
When the status changes to Ready for migration, click Next to proceed to the next screen.
Click Next to begin the migration of your email data.
Several factors influence how long your email will take to migrate. For a list of possible factors, see Factors that affect the duration of email migrations.
After your migration has completed, you can run the migration tool again by selecting Migrate new items. For more information about running additional migrations, see Running additional passes with MigrationWiz. Otherwise, clidk Finish.
You can find a list of all your projects under My Migrations, located in the top-right corner of your migration portal. To begin a new project, click Start a new migration.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License