Manage a Cloud Server
You can use the Cloud Control Panel to perform administrative tasks in as few clicks as possible. This article describes the different methods for performing server management tasks in the control panel.
Identifying server types
Two types of servers can be listed on the Cloud Servers page in the control panel:
- Next Generation Cloud Servers powered by OpenStack.
- First Generation Cloud Servers, our legacy Cloud Server offering.
For a comparison of the features of First and Next Generation Cloud Servers, see Next-Generation Cloud Migration Considerations and Options.
You can identify First Generation Cloud Servers in the control panel by the blue asterisk that follows the server name.
You can also filter your servers by type.
Accessing server management tasks
You can use the gear menu or the Actions menu to perform management operations on your server.
When you open the Cloud Control Panel or click Servers at the top of the page, you see a list of your servers. To the left of each server name is a gear icon. Click the icon to view a menu of the operations that you can perform on your server.
If you click on a server name, the Server Details page appears. The Actions menu is in the upper-right corner of the page. This menu contains the same operations that are available in the gear menu.
Performing server management tasks
You can use the gear menu or the Actions menu to perform the following server management tasks.
Identify Your Server
You can rename your server or add tags (descriptive labels) to it:
- Click Rename to change the server name.
- Click Add Tag to add new tags or remove existing tags. For more information on tags, see Using Tags.
Image and recover your server
You can create an image of a server or rebuild a server from a previously saved image:
- Click Create Image to create a snapshot image of your server.
- Click Schedule Image to create manual or scheduled images from your running servers.
- Click Rebuild From Image to overwrite your current server with a previously saved image or a new image of your choosing.
- Click Enter Rescue Mode to troubleshoot and perform security checks on your server.
Manage your server
You can perform the following essential management tasks without logging directly into your server:
- Click Connect Via Console to open Linux shell window or Windows command prompt window so that you can issue commands directly on your server.
- Click Reboot to restart the server.
- Click Resize to vertically scale your computing power (not available for all servers).
- Click Change Password to change the root password on Linux servers or the Administrator password on Windows. Note: This command requires an automatic reboot of your server. Remember to save your data before issuing this command.
- Click Create Check
- Click Delete Server to delete a server when you no longer need it. You will lose any saved data and the IP address assigned to the server.
Using direct edit links
On the Server Details page for a particular server, items that are instantly configurable have links to the right of them.
For example, next to the System Image field, you can click Rebuild to rebuild your server from a default Rackspace image or a previously saved image. You specify the required information in the popup dialog box and then click Rebuild Server.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License