Manage domain aliases with the Cloud Office Control Panel
Resellers can create domain aliases for their customers. If you are a direct customer, however, and you want to create a domain alias, please contact the Rackspace support team. Direct customers can still view the aliases that have been set by going to step 2 in the following procedure.
Domain aliases and accepted domains
You might want to create a domain alias if, for example, your company owns several domains (for example, mycompany.com, mycompany.biz, and mycompany.us), and you want to direct all incoming email to the company’s primary domain. If you assign mycompany.biz and mycompany.us as domain aliases, email that is sent to mailboxes at the aliases will be automatically redirected to a mailbox on the primary domain, mycompany.com.
The type of email hosting service that you use determines the relevant terminology (“domain alias” versus “accepted domain”) and functionality (such as how email is redirected):
- Domain alias - If you are a Rackspace Email customer, you will create a domain alias. Email sent to the domain alias is automatically directed to the corresponding mailbox in the original domain. For example, if mycompany.biz is a domain alias for mycompany.com, when someone sends an email to firstname.lastname@example.org it is automatically redirected to email@example.com.
- Accepted domain - If you are a Microsoft Exchange customer, you create an accepted domain. Email sent to the accepted domain can be automatically directed to any mailbox that you specify.
Add a domain alias or accepted domain
- Log in to the Cloud Office Control Panel.
- From the Go to section menu, select Domains.
- In the Manage section, click Domain Aliases.
- If you have multiple domains, select the appropriate domain name. Or, to change domains, click change domain.
- Click Add Alias.
- In the Alternate Domain box, enter the full domain name that you want to assign as a domain alias or accepted domain.
- In the Alternate Domain Type area, select Domain Alias or Accepted Domain. To learn more, see the preceding section in this article.
- If you selected the Exchange option, Accepted Domain, select the Create alternate addresses for existing recipients check box to automatically generate the new domain addresses for your current Exchange mailboxes.
- Click Save.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License