Getting Started With Cloud Sites - Rackspace Nameservers and Creating Custom Nameservers
Note: This article is written for our Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can get to it from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking Rackspace Cloud in the upper-left corner and selecting Cloud Sites. You can also navigate directly to https://manage.rackspacecloud.com/.
To change your name servers from your current registrar to point to the Rackspace Cloud, follow these steps:
- Access your account with your current registrar (for example, godaddy.com or register.com).
- Change the name servers to dns1.stabletransit.com and dns2.stabletransit.com.
Your current registrar might offer “transfer lock” or a similar service as a security measure to prevent unauthorized transfer of your domain name. If this feature is activated, you need to log in to your account with your current registrar to unlock the domain.
To unlock the domain, you must have access to the administrative email address you used when first registering the domain. Your current registrar will send an email to this account that will require a reply from you, confirming that the transfer is authorized. If you do not have access to this email address, contact customer support for help. You can do a WHOIS search to find the administrative email and the current registrar for the domain.
All DNS changes take up to 48 hours to take effect. During this time you can check your website by using the test URL (for example, www.yourdomain.com.websitetestlink.com).
Custom name servers
Configuring custom name servers can be done differently depending on where your DNS is currently hosted. The following sections provide steps to set up custom name servers based on some of the most commonly used DNS providers:
- OpenSRS/Tucows/RackSpace Cloud
If you are hosting DNS at a provider that is not listed here, contact your DNS provider for steps showing you how to configure custom name servers.
To register new name servers or update existing name servers with OpenSRS, follow these steps.
- Log in to your account at manage.opensrs.net by entering your domain name, user and password, then clicking Manage Domain.
On the domain management page, scroll to the bottom of the page to the link.
Note: If you want to create or modify a name server which is based on yourhostdomain.com click here. (Ignore the name servers link in the main top menu.)
- On the next page, scroll down to the Create name server section
and perform the following steps:
- In the first field, enter the host prefix for your first server (example, ns1).
- In the second box, enter the IP address for the name server you want to create.
- Click the Create Name Server button.
- Repeat step 3 for your second DNS server (ns2).
- You will now see your DNS servers listed on the page.
To register new or update current name servers with Dotster, follow these steps.
- Open up your account information at Dotster and click the My Domains tab.
- Click the domain name for which you want to add the name servers. (Do not select the check box.)
- In the Name Servers section, click the Register Name Server link.
- Fill in the form with your name server name and IP address.
If your domain is registered with Enom, follow these steps to register new or update current DNS servers.
- Log in to your account at enom.com.
From the site menu, select Domains > Advanced Tools > Register a Name Server.
A page with forms for adding new name servers and updating old name servers is displayed.
- Add the name server name to the form (for example, ns1.yourdomain.com), enter the old IP address for the DNS server (if updating), and enter the new one provided in your migration complete email.
- Click Update.
To register new name servers or update existing name servers with Directi, follow these steps.
- Log in to your Domain Control Panel.
- From Domains > Search > Domain Registration Search, search for the domain name for which you want to manage child name servers.
- Click the domain name under which you want to create child name servers.
- Click the Manage Child Name Server button.
- In the Add New Child Name Server box, enter the hostname (for example, ns1.youhost.com) of the child name server that you want to create, and then enter its IP address in the second box.
- To modify a DNS server, make the modifications in the IP Address text box and click Modify IP Address.
To register new name servers or update existing name servers with Name.com, follow these steps.
- Log in to your account.
- Click the My Account image at the top of the page.
- Click the appropriate domain name.
- Under the Control Panel navigation list, click Manage Name Servers.
- To add a new name server, enter the host name and IP address for each name server you want to create.
- To modify an existing name server, enter the appropriate new IP address for the respective host name and click Add. Click the remove link next to the old IP address for each host name.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License