Create a domain or subdomain that points to a website not hosted on Cloud Sites
Note: This article is written for our Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can get to it from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking Rackspace Cloud in the upper-left corner and selecting Cloud Sites. You can also navigate directly to https://manage.rackspacecloud.com/.
Follow these directions to point a domain or subdomain to a website that is not hosted on Cloud Sites.
- Log in to the Cloud Sites Control Panel.
- Create the new domain or subdomain under the correct account. If you have any questions about how to do this, see Getting Started With Cloud Sites: How To Add A New Website.
- After the domain or subdomain is set up in your account, add a PHP redirect to the web/content folder by using FTP. For information about how to do this, including using FTP, see Getting Started With Cloud Sites, FTP/SSHFS/FTP Clients.
Using a text editing program (like Notepad or Wordpad), create a file with the following PHP redirect on your computer. After
Location:, enter the URL that you want to redirect the website to (for example,
<? header("Location: URL"); exit; ?>
Using the example link, the full script would look as follows:
<?php header("Location: http://www.yourdomain.com/"); ?>
- Save this file as index.php.
- Log in to your new subdomain’s FTP server.
- Navigate to the /www.yourdomain.com/web/content directory.
- Upload the index.php into this folder. The redirect should be fully functional.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License