Create a domain or subdomain that points to a folder on an existing Cloud Sites website
Note: This article is written for our Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can get to it from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking Rackspace Cloud in the upper-left corner and selecting Cloud Sites. You can also navigate directly to https://manage.rackspacecloud.com/.
The Cloud Sites Control Panel does not provide the ability to create an alias that points to a folder other than the website’s web root. To point to a folder other than the website’s web root, you must use a redirect script. Perform the following steps.
- Log in to the Cloud Sites Control Panel.
- Create the new domain or subdomain under the correct account. If you have any questions about how to do this, see Getting Started With Cloud Sites: How To Add A New Website.
- After the domain or subdomain is set up in your account, add a PHP redirect to the web/content folder by using FTP. For information about how to do this, including using FTP, see Getting Started With Cloud Sites, FTP/SSHFS/FTP Clients.
Using a text editing program (like Notepad or Wordpad), create a file with the following PHP redirect on your computer. After
Location:, enter the URL that you want to redirect the website to (for example,
<?php header("Location: URL"); ?>
Using the example link, the full script would look as follows:
<?php header("Location: http://www.example.com/subdirectory"); ?>
- Save this file as index.php.
- Log in to your FTP client.
- Select the website from the list of websites associated with your ftp user name and password.
- Select the web folder.
- Select the content folder.
- Upload the index.php file from your computer to the content folder.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License