Connect to Cloud Sites via SQL Server Management Studio Express
Note: This article is written for our Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can get to it from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking Rackspace Cloud in the upper-left corner and selecting Cloud Sites. You can also navigate directly to https://manage.rackspacecloud.com/.
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express provides a graphical management tool for SQL Server. You can use SQL Server Management Studio Express to remotely connect to your Cloud Sites database.
Note: Only the primary database owner can make remote connections to the database. This means that the original user added to the database is the only one who is allowed to connect via SQL Server Management Studio Express. Any secondary users who have been added who need to make changes must use myLittleAdmin to connect.
Ensure that you have installed the latest version of SQL Server Management Studio Express and any available service packs. As of the last update of this article, SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express was available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=08e52ac2-1d62-45f6-9a4a-4b76a8564a2b.
To make an external connection, you need the external IP address for your database. You can get the IP address by following these steps:
- Log in to the Cloud Sites Control Panel.
- In the left navigation pane, click Hosting > Cloud Sites.
- Click the domain name under which the database exists.
- Click the Features tab.
- Click the database name that you want to connect to.
The IP address is listed as the Database Management IP Address. You need this address in the next section.
Connect by using the external IP address
- Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. If the connection dialog box does not open, click the File menu and then select Connect Object Explorer.
- From the Server type menu, select Database Engine.
- In the Server Name box, enter the external IP address for your database.
- From the Authentication menu, select SQL Server Authentication.
- In the Login box, enter the primary user name for the database. The user name must be prefixed by an account ID, so you must use the full user name; for example, 123456_user and not just user.
- Enter that user’s corresponding password.
- Enter the port number. To successfully connect, you must use port 4120.
- To ensure that your queries run properly, click the Connection Properties tab at the top of the dialog box. If you cannot see the Connection Properties tab, click the Options button at the bottom right of the dialog box.
- On the Connection Properties tab, enter your database name in the Connect to database box.
- Click the Connect button.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License