Configure a renamed email address on Outlook for Windows
After you have renamed a Rackspace Email address, your devices receive new email only after you configure them to connect to the new email address. This article describes how to configure a renamed email address on Outlook for Windows.
- Applies to: User
- Difficulty: Easy
- Time needed: Approximately 20 minutes
- Tools required: Mailbox password and access to the devices you want to connect
For more information about prerequisite terminology, see Cloud Office support terminology.
Warning: If the old email address connects via POP, you must migrate the POP data to an IMAP account so that no data is lost in the rename configuration. Follow the instructions in Migrate from a POP server to Rackspace Email IMAP using Outlook before continuing with the instructions in this article.
Configure mail setttings
The steps for Outlook 2010, 2013, and 2016 for Windows are nearly identical.
- From the Start menu, open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, change the View by setting in the upper-right corner to Small icons.
Click Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) in the Control Panel menu.
Note: Mail or Mail (32-bit) might be the icon displayed for your Outlook version.
In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.
Click Add to create a profile to connect to the renamed email address.
When prompted, enter a name for the new profile. We recommend that you use your new email address for the profile name to clearly identify it. Then, click OK.
In the Add Account wizard, select Manual setup or additional server types, and then click Next.
Select POP or IMAP, and then click Next.
Note: In Outlook 2010, select Internet Email for this step.
On the POP and IMAP Account Settings page, enter the following settings to connect to the renamed email address:
- Your Name: The name that email recipients will see in the From field
- Email Address: The new mailbox address
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: secure.emailsrvr.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): secure.emailsrvr.com
- Username: The new mailbox address
- Password: Your mailbox password
Click the More Settings button in the lower-right corner, and then perform the following steps:
- On the Outgoing Server tab, select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box, and then select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- On the Advanced tab, change the value for Use the following type of encrypted connection: to SSL for both Incoming server (IMAP) and Outgoing Server (SMTP).
- Set the Incoming server(IMAP) value to port: 993.
- Set the Outgoing server(SMTP) value to port: 465.
- Click OK.
- On the POP and IMAP Account Settings page, click Next.
On the Test Account Settings page, after both Log onto incoming mail server(IMAP) and Send test e-mail message show a status of Completed, click Close.
On the profile list page, perform the following steps:
- Under When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile:, select Always use this profile.
- From the drop down list, select the newly created profile.
- Click Apply, and then OK,
- Open Outlook.
Note: If you see items missing in the new Outlook account, import the data from the old profile. See Migrate from a POP server to Rackspace Email IMAP using Outlook.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2017 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License