Before you move to General Purpose or I/O Cloud Server (checklist)
General Purpose and I/O-optimized Cloud Servers offer an increase in drive and networking speed,but there are some factors to consider before moving your current environment. This checklist provides information that you need to consider to ensure that you are ready to move.
General Purpose Cloud Servers cannot be resized, so ensuring that your architecture is correct from the start is important. Best practices include splitting your web and application servers from your database server and putting them behind a load balancer. This split will enable you to easily scale horizontally in the future without the need for downtime or requiring DNS changes.
- If you have a Cloud Server, you might be able to
create an image to migrate to General Purpose Cloud Servers.
- For a 512 MB server, create a 1 GB or larger General Purpose Cloud Server via image.
- For a 1 GB server, create a 2 GB or larger General Purpose Cloud Server via image.
- For a 2 GB or larger server, you cannot use an image to build a General Purpose Cloud Server.
- Ensure that any automation you have set up allows for a 40 GB system drive.
- Audit your current and future storage needs to determine how to best
organize the data with the General Purpose Cloud
Server configuration. You will have multiple disks instead of a
single monolithic disk. Consider the following options:
- Use the system disk only.
- Use both the system and data disk.
- Create a single RAID 0 volume out of the multiple data disks on larger servers.
- Leverage Cloud Block Storage for portability.
- If you use Cloud Backup, ensure that all of your data is backed up when you create your new General Purpose Cloud Server.
- If you have disk monitoring set up, you must set up monitoring for your system disk and data disk or disks separately.
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2016 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License