Attach a Cloud Network to an Existing Cloud Server
When you create a new cloud server, you can attach an isolated network to it. You can also attach an isolated network to an existing server by using one of the following methods:
- By using the Cloud Networks API
- By creating an image of the server and building a new server based on that image in the Cloud Control Panel
If you use the Cloud Networks API to attach network interfaces to or detach them from a cloud server, you might experience a brief interruption (lasting a few seconds) in traffic hitting your cloud server while networking is being reset on the server.
+Warning for Rackconnect v2.0: Do not attach or detach a cloud network onto a server that is using Rackconnect v2.0. Attaching or detaching a cloud network on a Cloud Server using Rackconnect v2.0 causes the network stack to be reset, which breaks the cloud server’s connectivity to Rackconnect v2.0. If you need to attach a network to a cloud server that currently runs Rackconnect v2.0, please contact support before making the change.
To attach an isolated network to an existing cloud server by cloning it in the Cloud Control Panel, perform the following steps:
- Log in to the Cloud Control Panel.
- In the Cloud Servers list, click the server to which you want to attach the isolated network.
- On the Server Details page, scroll to the Images section.
If you already have an image for this server, skip to step 5.
To create an image for the server, in the details page of the server in the Images section, click Create Image, enter a name for the image, and then click Create Image.
It may take a few minutes to create the image.
- In the Images section, click View Images.
- Next to the image you want to use, click the gear icon and then select Create Server with Image.
- On the Create Server page, enter a name for the new server. The image is preselected for you.
- Select a size (flavor) or the server.
- Expand the Advanced Options secion, and click Select Networks.
Select an existing isolated network in the popup dialog box, or click Create Network to create a new one. If you are creating a network, enter a network name, and then click Create Network.
Note: All new servers are automatically attached to the PublicNet (the Internet) and ServiceNet (the Rackspace data center network) networks. If you are considering removing these networks from the server, we strongly recommend that you read Removing Networks from a Cloud Server to fully understand the limitations that will be placed on this server if you remove these networks.
- Click Create Server.
A new server is created with new public and private IP addresses and attached to the networks that you selected.
More information about Cloud Networks
Continue the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
©2018 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License